Friday, April 29, 2011

Tired?

Did you wake up at 200 am to watch the wedding?

Did you then wake up at 600 am and go to work?

You must be EXHAUSTED! .................

Imagine this feeling multiplied by 3 as if you woke up then went back to sleep, woke up then went back to sleep, woke up then went back to sleep and then woke up for the day finally at six am.

Now add to that, incessant cawing like a crow in your ear each time you woke up and for thirty minutes while you try to fall back asleep.

Now add bloody breast nipples and an aching back.

And... you can't get a nap until, if you're lucky, 600pm.

That would be 1/ 365th of what it feels like to be NURSING MOTHER in the first year of a baby's life.


NOW IMAGINE:

The bleeding nipples, the cawing, the feeling of needing to go back to sleep AND...

there is no coffee left,

there are no groceries in the fridge,

there is a stinky dirty diaper flood in the bedroom,

the laundry is overflowing,

you haven't eaten a cooked meal in two months,

the bills are piled up next to the computer,

You have NOTHING to look forward to. No one is coming to relieve you at 600pm.

That would be 1/365th of what is like to be a SINGLE NURSING MOTHER in the first year of a baby's life.


6 comments:

Tara said...

Ugh, I can totally relate, except for the bloody nipples thing... I was too lazy to breastfeed...

Theresa said...

I remember bloody nipples, horrendous.

You are amazing, btw. I am in awe of everything you do. You do so much, by yourself, and you rock...

xoxoxoxo

jacqui said...

For some reason this post doesn't make me want to be a single breastfeeding mom. I'm not sure why. I hope you at least had a wonderful Mother's Day...it sounds like you deserve it!

Joie said...

As a single mom since I was 4 months pregnant & currently nursing my almost 11 month old, THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS! All I hear are people (horrified that I'm still nursing & plan to until he weans himself) telling me to give him formula or to let him cry it out. Or bitching because their husband was out of town & they had to be a "single mom" for a couple nights. That makes me feel stabby. Thank you for this.

Running Diva Mom said...

just found you. i'm a new single mom and look forward to reading more! thank you for putting your thoughts/ideas out there! www.runningdivamom.com

Elena said...

I was a single breastfeeding mom.....twice..I have two beautiful girls...it worthed.